الاثنين، 5 سبتمبر 2011

Summer 2011

I am originally from Sudan. So we travel every now and then, to see family and friends over there. This year I was blessed enough to travel twice. And to be honest, I never wanted to come back !



A bit of the
Southern culture


Beautiful work

One of the portrays.


The first time in this summer, I left for 10 days only. I traveled on my own so I learnt very well how to depend more on myself. And from there, it opened for me a lot of scary opportunities I never thought I would try. Although it was a short vacation, but it was an enjoyable one. My cousins weren't free all the time for me, but we did go out a couple of times. There wasn't any good movies out at that time, so it wasn't a preferable choice to see one. We hanged around the mall a lot though. There was a min-art exhibition around. It had some beautiful artwork. We tried to interpret some of them, although the others were completely blank to us. We had a good time, and I laughed a lot that day. Something I didn't do in a long long while. I can say that the rest of the vacation was spent with family mostly. Specially that my aunt's husband passed away in the last two days. So I had to spend it with them. It was my first time, serving and helping out in a funeral. I came to know a lot of members of my family, and specially my Dad's side. I even had the chance to be friends with some nice girls, which was a complete pleasure for me. Overall, it was an interesting experience. Where I live, people are 'into themselves', and during funerals family and friends are supposed to be the ones someone can turn to. But if you are unlucky, few will be available for you to share your sorrow. My aunt's husband death was a sudden one, so everyone was in complete shock and denial. I was there with them four days before his death, and he seemed very normal. And I clearly remember that he held my hands so tightly when we shook hands. To me, it was a powerful moment, but I strongly believe that he is in a better place InshaAllah. He was a man of wisdom. Not necessary into people businesses, and a well-accredited writer. God bless his soul.


Around with crazy cousins. Believe me, you can't have a normal picture !

Eiid Prayer =)

Sneaking to pick some Eiid cookies&candies. I Miss Yoou !


Add caption



My second departure to Sudan was with the company of my father and my elder brother. It was in Ramadan, so it was mostly spent sleeping. The day in Sudan is very long, and for some reason people wake up pretty early. Another thing, is that there is no surviving without water for a long day like the one in Sudan. So to make it pass by faster, people sleep most of the noon, and wake up as soon as they had enough. I am not sure if that how everyone spends his day, but that was happening around me quite often. So by night, everyone and everything down the streets is alive. The best thing I enjoyed is the family gathering and co-operation. My aunt will come daily with some plates, while my Mom prepare the others. And these are usually Sudanese like: Aseeda, Tagale-eyah, some others like: Sala-tat Roob, Shurbat Khudar etc. And some side plates that everyone shares. My grandparents also came over most of the vacation. The impressive thing too is that every house, if capable, have to prepare a number of plates, 'Seneeya', and take it outside of the house, down the main road. It is made so that any pedestrians, passing by the time of sunset who are fastening can break their fast. And this happens all over Sudan. What I admire about Sudan too is that you can never get bored. You have your family around you all the time, little cousins and sweet grandparents. If the least that can happen, you know very well that you have caring friends that can stand by your side when you need it. And most of the time, people co-ordinate picnics and gatherings non-occasionally, where they enjoy the beautiful weather of Autumn and landmarks. Playing soccer and cards are as much fun as it can get with the people you share most of your interests with. Another thing, is Eiid. It, too, was my first. So I got to experience how everyone felt about it. What surprised me is that Eiid is not only restricted to children's happiness. You can easily see an old lady, who can barely walk, hugging everyone she can see as if it was her first Eiid. And just a day before Eiid, you can see needy people receiving clothes and jumping all over the place, from people who also don't have much too. I had the best feeling when I realized that there are still good people who love to make other people happy no matter what they have, or what they do. Nevertheless, we didn't spend all of it at home. We went to the mall again, hoping to see another group of talents, but we didn't. We had our little cousins with us, so it was mostly a babysitting session. We even went, a couple of times, to have dinner outside, and some ice-cream. And just for the record, they have the most delicious pizza I ever tasted. I travel every year for eating that heavenly-made pizza. Ughh, I am craving it right now. My aunt also works for a TV channel called Goon. So she invited me there, and it was very cool. I never expected that's how they prepare things behind the scene.


Sudan is beautiful, with an exquisite culture and loving people. It was politics which turned it down, and the greed of inhumane creatures that made everyone suffering in this ugly way. Yes! My country is not perfect, but it does deserve perfection, and I'll make sure I live up to that dream. And all this is a tiny bit of the stories that I can get from there. 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق